The Foundation is flexible in applying the financial resources required, can also help include foreign scholars in project cooperation and supports many projects in which German and foreign scholars work together. Targeted support of international exchange between junior scholars also promotes international cooperation in the same manner, helping preserve or intensify close ties between experts.
International grants, scholarships and exchange programs of the Fritz Thyssen Foundation that are ongoing at present are listed in the following. Applications may only be submitted directly to the respective institutions.
- "Herzog Ernst - guest scholarship program" at the "Altes Buch/Alte Karte" Research Center, Gotha-Erfurt
- Research grant at the Historisches Kolleg, Munich
- Doctoral grant at the Berlin Graduate School for Transnational Studies
- Horst Siebert Fellowship - Guest scholarship program at The Johns Hopkins University, SAIS Europe, Bologna
- Transatlantic Academy
- Pre-Dissertation Fellowship at der University of California
- "Residency Program" for American historians
- Scholarship program at Harvard University
- Transatlantic Post-Doc Fellowship for International Relations and Security
- Ernst Fraenkel Distinguished Lecture Series