Thematisch ist eine Antragstellung in folgenden Förderbereichen möglich:
- History, Language & Culture
- The interdisciplinary field “Image–Sound–Language”
- State, Economy and Society
- Medicine and the Natural Sciences
Funding is basically reserved for projects that are related to the promotion areas of the Foundation and have a clear connection to the German research system. This connection can be established either at a personal level through German scientists working on the project, at an institutional level through non-German scientists being affiliated to German research institutes or through studies on topics related thematically to German research interests.
Applications for travel subsidies
Basic information and conditions
- Applications can generally only be accepted if they come from universities or non-profit research institutions.
- Applicants must have generally already received a doctoral degree.
- General educational travel, excursions or lecture or congress-related travel are not supported
- The foundation generally does not accept any applications for projects if applications are being filed with other institutions at the same time to ease the burden on its experts assessing applications. An application that is refused by another institution can be filed with the foundation along with a note explaining why it was refused.
- It is generally not possible to revise applications that have been rejected by the Foundation.
Suggested outline for the application
- Application form (signed in the original)
- Name of applicant
- Research topic
- Research institution / place where research is to be carried out (if relevant, include copy of invitation)
- Detailed description: topic, present state of research, preparatory work done, plan of procedure, theories, methods, time schedule (around 5 to 10 pages)
- Curriculum vitae and list of the applicant’s publications
- Bibliography on the topic
- Itemized budget:
In addition to reasonable travel costs, a daily fixed sum will be paid, the amount of which will be decided by the foundation. The currently applicable daily or monthly rates for defraying costs of overnight stay and meals for the respective country of travel can be found in the table provided under “Download”
- Declaration that no application of this or a similar kind is at present under consideration elsewhere, nor has any such application been submitted to any other organization (if an application(s) has indeed been filed, the foundation may request additional information on such).
- Date and signature
Only a single set of applications should be sent (unstapled and unbound) by postal service.
Applications may be submitted in German or in English.
Applications for travel grants may be submitted at any time. Normally a decision can be reached in eight weeks.
Notice of grant, disbursement and accounts
The letter announcing the grant to the candidate states the conditions governing the grant. It is important that any restrictions in connection with the various types of costs be noted. In accepting the grant, the candidate makes a commitment to abide by the conditions of the grant.
CALL-UP AND USE OF FUNDS
The funds will be disbursed upon the request of the grant holder – signed in the original – or the office administrating third-party funds (state file numbers, account and bank information, internal accounting numbers). Funds can also be called up by sending the foundation a telefax or a pdf attachment to an e-mail. The funds should at the same time be disbursed as close to the period of stay for the research work as possible.
Rededication of resources as well as the use of approved resources to defray other expenses not stated in the application is subject to approved in advance by the foundation.
The grant recipient shall be responsible for ensuring that he or she has adequate health-insurance coverage (including for foreign countries) during the period of the grant. The foundation does not pay any subsidies or benefits in the event of sickness or accident.
After completion of the support, the foundation requires – in each case signed in the original – an informal report on the course and results of the research project and an account statement verifying the use of the resources. Any funds not used must generally be returned after review of the accounts showing how the funds have been used and request for such by the foundation. The account statement along with the accounts showing how the funds have been used must be backed up with verifiable receipts and documents. These should be kept, but not sent to the foundation unless requested to do so.
The foundation requests two offprints or specimen copies of any publications in connection with the project. The foundation assumes that the publications will contain a note that support was provided by the Fritz Thyssen Foundation. The logo of the foundation can be downloaded here for this purpose.